The National President of the Human Rights Defenders and Access to Justice Advocacy Center, Comrade Mrs. QueennetRose Olushola has advised the general public to be wary of the present weather condition.
She gave the advise to the public through her organization verified social media handle, in which she said the weather condition that is been experienced now should be a source of concern to everybody.
She went on further to give some measure that will alleviate the biting weather condition. According to her, her submission is based on expert advise, and the meteorological agency warning.
We have all noticed recently that the heat of the day and the night is unbearably high. According to experts, this is due to heat waves resulting from the emission of greenhouse gases. The Meteorological Agency is warning us to prepare for warmer days and nights. This preparedness will require smart adaptation strategies and participation in climate change resilient practices to cope with the damage caused.
Common effects of heat waves on humans are dehydration which can lead to unconsciousness or death, chickenpox, heat rash, and psychological stress.
In order to cope with the current climatic conditions, the experts advised to:
1. Drink more water to stay hydrated.
2. Keep a water bottle with us to remind us to take water.
3. Avoid alcoholic and caffeinated drinks during this time.
4. Reduce the consumption of foods high in protein (eg red meats) as they increase metabolic heat.
5. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables which are better options.
6. Monitor our blood pressure to make sure we are within the normal range.
7. Stay indoors (in our home or office) between noon and 3 pm each day as much as possible.
8. Take cold water baths before going to bed at night.”
Comrade Mrs. Olushola admonished everybody to adhered to the warning and observe the various precautionary measure that has been rolled out to overcome the weather condition.
“Let us therefore strive to comply with it because our life depends on it let’s be kind to share the information with everyone we know”